Slowing down files

Home Forums General discussion Slowing down files

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Williamson 4 days, 4 hours ago.

• Author

Peter Lynch
    Participant

ABRSM publish Speedshifter , a tool to slow down playback without altering pitch.
    See https://gb.abrsm.org/en/exam-support/practice-tools-and-applications/speedshifter/#

John R. Fletcher
      Keymaster

Hi Peter,

I did have this listed on the How to play the files page, but a number of people reported issues with it crashing their computers, so I felt I couldn’t include it in my suggestions any longer.

Cheers
      JohnF

John R. Fletcher
    Keymaster

Hi Martin,

There is no option to change speed/pitch directly on the site. When I judge that a piece requires it, I do take the edge off the speed. The only problem with that is that, as the performance approaches, the slower speed is then too slow (I have had negative comments about that as well as for too fast).

I occasionally add a slower version to the files when the speed is ridiculously fast, but am still open to the “too slow” comments. I can’t please everyone all the time.

So this is why I give suggestions for slowing down/raising/lowering pitch of files to suit your own situation: choose HELP>HOW TO PLAY THE FILES and scroll down a bit. There is a section there with suggestions, both for desktop/laptop situations, and for mobile devices.

You didn’t mention which of the 5 madrigals – I seem to remember some are slow. I am happy to work on this, but I am away from home for 8-10 days, so I wouldn’t be able to get looking at this until Sunday/Monday 2/3 June. Let me know which movements in particular you are concerned with.

Cheers,
    JohnF

Ian Williamson
      Participant

Much appreciated, thanks – another user singing the Birthday Madrigals in the same choir as Martin!

If I may, I offer one additional comment on your files for Rutter’s Birthday Madrigal 5 When daisies pied – apologies if this isn’t the right place. In the baritone part at bar 54 I think an F natural is sounded as the final note in the bar, whereas my edition shows a (cautionary) sharp against this note. (Do editions differ? Mine is OUP (C) 1995 but has a Van Gogh Cypress on the front of an otherwise mainly Raw Siena cover.) The same thing happens again in bars 106 and 158.

Thanks

Ian W

John R. Fletcher
      Keymaster

It is definitely an F sharp. I expect what is obscuring the sound is that there are 4 other voices (S1, S2, A1, and A2) singing an F natural at the same time – a “false relation” as it were.

J

Ian Williamson
      Participant

John, thanks for checking. I thought I could hear it also at the baritone pitch, but I guess you are right that I was just confused.

John R. Fletcher
      Keymaster

Hi Martin,

I have now added slower versions of the three quick movements.

Cheers,
      JohnF

Martin Humphreys
    Participant

I am learning Rutter’s Birthday Madrigals and finding the site extremely helpful. There are some tricky corners in the baritone line which are hard to grasp at performance speed. Is it possible to have an option in the playback to slow down the pieces where required?

Many thanks

Martin

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.