brahms liebeslieder – extra bar

Home Forums General discussion brahms liebeslieder – extra bar

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      philip geary
      Participant

Hi John,

yes, the Simrock score is the same as the Breitkopf we are using.

Bar 19 (the first time bar of part 2) has two beats of rest for all voices, leading back to bar 10, which is split for the first two beats, the first of which (? for the repeat) is a crotchet rest.

My understanding is that as written there are three beat’s rest for all voices at the repeat, though most recordings seem to fill these in with notes (and words) from bar 8/9.

John R. Fletcher
        Keymaster

I have nothing more that I can add. Let’s hope someone else more knowledgeable comes along to shed light on the matter.

JohnF

John R. Fletcher
      Keymaster

Hi Philip,

All I can say is that my version follows the First Edition published by N. Simrock in about 1880. It is freely availabel on IMSLP.

Cheers,
      JohnF

philip geary
      Participant

I thought I was making a mistake in song 12 (Shlosser auf) of the op52 liebeslieder.

A recording I had seemed to be inserting an additional bar (bar 9) into the repeat in the second section.

Then I listened to a number of recordings and you-tube performances, and found a mixture, some do, some don’t.

the three practice midis to which I have access (JF, Choralia and Paderborn) all have the extra bar. all the scores I have seen do not.

does anyone have a handle on this, and am I (untrained amateur singer) missing something?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.